Labour leadership candidates set out priorities at first hustings event of campaign
Labour activists must become “salespeople for socialism”, Rebecca Long-Bailey has said as the Labour leadership candidates clashed in their first hustings event of the campaign.
Long-Bailey, a frontrunner who is backed by allies of Jeremy Corbyn, said she was kept awake at night by the problems of inequality and the climate crisis but also how to present socialism as mainstream.Continue reading...
Islamist offenders convicted of online extremist crimes received prison sentences three times longer than those of their far-right counterparts, according to new analysis.
Researchers found that Islamists received on average 73.4 months compared with 24.5 months for far-right offenders, despite the government’s ambition to treat both strains of extremism in the same way.Continue reading...
No Time to Die will be the 25th film in the franchise and Daniel Craig’s final role as 007
Former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr will join composer Hans Zimmer to score the upcoming James Bond movie No Time to Die.
Zimmer, widely celebrated for his scores for films such as Gladiator, The Da Vinci Code and the Pirates of the Caribbean series, was drafted in as a last-minute replacement earlier this month.Continue reading...
Sir Keir Starmer, Rebecca Long-Bailey, Emily Thornberry, Jess Phillips and Lisa Nandy to speak at Liverpool event
Each of the Labour leadership hopefuls must secure the backing of trade unions and local parties in order to make the final ballot.
The five candidates need the support of five per cent of local parties or at least three affiliates - two must be unions - by February 14th to make the final ballot.
The hustings is set to get underway at 11:30am.
Emily Thornberry warned earlier this week that Labour faces “a long, tough road back to power” after the party suffered its worst general election defeat since 1935.
Chancellor admits some businesses may not benefit from Brexit but tells FT economy will benefit in long term
The chancellor, Sajid Javid, has warned that there will be no alignment with EU regulations once Britain’s exit from the European Union is made official.
In what is being seen as an opening salvo in the next stage of negotiations, he said the Treasury would not lend support to manufacturers that favour EU rules as the sector has had three years to prepare for Britain’s transition.Continue reading...
Services assists prospective tenants in their search for landlords of a similar age
It’s not just Generation Rent that struggles with insecure lets, unscrupulous landlords and bad accommodation.
There are more than 400,000 people aged over 60 living in private rented accommodation, up more than 60% from 2007. Research predicts a third of over-60s could be renting privately by 2040, as rising divorce rates and sky-high property prices take their toll.Continue reading...
Personalised send-offs more popular than ever, with average costing £2,300, says SunLife
Spending on the extras that turn a funeral into a celebration of life soared last year, with a “unicorn-drawn” hearse and drag queens belting out LGBTQ anthems among the more unusual requests, says a report.
The average amount spent on a funeral send-off – which includes things such as catering for the wake, flowers, limo hire and other extras – reached £2,306 in 2019, up almost 12% in a year, according to the insurer SunLife’s Cost of Dying report. It says the increasing popularity of personalised funerals appears to be a major driver behind the rise.Continue reading...
State scheme starts from Monday as part of government bid to tackle ‘period poverty’
Tampons, sanitary pads and other period products will be made freely available to all state schools and colleges in England starting next week, with the launch of a scheme funded by the Department for Education.
The scheme follows the government’s commitment last year to pay for sanitary products for primary and secondary schools, in an effort to tackle “period poverty”, which can cause girls from low-income families to missschool.Continue reading...
Stephen Dunford charged with attempted murder after the youth was injured in the Arbourthorne area of the city
A man has been charged with attempted murder after a 12-year-old boy was injured in a drive-by shooting in Sheffield.
Stephen Dunford, of Fellbrigg Road, Sheffield, has also been charged with possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life and has been remanded into custody to appear at Sheffield magistrates court on Saturday.Continue reading...